Navigation bar

  • About Me
  • Renovation
  • Decor
  • Crafty
  • Life

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Bathroom Floor Fix-Up

Exactly 1 WEEK from today we will be tying the knot!! Ahh! Let's just say we are finishing up lots of wedding stuff this weekend and are obsessively checking the weather for next Saturday every 10 minutes.

In the meantime, while we work on more wedding DIY projects, I'm sharing a little home improvement project that we completed a few weeks back. It's been a while since I've actually posted a reno project, but we've also been so consumed with wedding stuff the past year, that it's hard to find the time these days for home improvement!

This was a weekend project that we kind of did on a whim. A week or so before our bachelor and bachelorette parties, we started getting the house clean, and ready for a couple of people to stay over. The bathroom was in serious need of some love, and the floor was ugly. There was this parquet-esque stick-on tile, but the floor boards underneath were rotting, leaving cracks in the floor.

We knew we wanted to fix this, and Trent knew he could do it for cheap and get it done in one weekend. We started by cutting out the parts of the floor that were in need of repair and had rotted through (probably due to sink or toilet leaks in the past).


There were a couple older layers of linoleum tile under that, and then the rotting floor boards. Trent cut the rotten parts of the boards out, then patched the floor in those sections.


A thin layer of plywood over top, and we finally had a level surface with no cracks or rotten boards.


We picked up a box of stick-on tile, but this time in a more realistic looking wood-like finish. We really liked the color and realistic look of this one, and we figured since we didn't have the time to gut the room quite yet, we would lay this down as a temporary fix. Stick on tile is super cheap, and it costs by the piece. We have a really small bathroom, so one box (45 pieces) was plenty. They were just 98 cents each. We had several pieces leftover, but are keeping them for the future if we want to cover a closet floor or something like that.


Trent did an awesome job with the faux wood tile, and it just took him a day to do. He just cleaned the floor, then stuck the new tile right on top.


Here's what the floor looked like after it was all finished! Don't mind the little smudges that are still on the floor - this was literally right after he finished the tile, so we hadn't cleaned it all up yet.


So much more modern and refreshing. Trent also installed some baseboard trim around the bottom of the walls, and got some door trim up. We hung a new shower rod and did a few other minor updates before the bachelor/bachelorette party weekend.


I didn't get a picture of the whole room, so I guess my feet on the floor will have to do! Either way, one more little home reno project down. And we all know one more completed project means one step closer to having a home that is completely comfortable and updated!

Now, off to work on some DIY "Just Married" signs. One week away, and one week closer to laying on the beach in Jamaica!

3 comments:

  1. Not bad for a quick fix. The floor looks much nicer now and the wood look is something you can live with and decorate with for a while until you are able to reno it into the bathroom of your dreams. Good luck next week and congratulations! Can't wait to see the wedding pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was definitely a quick last minute thing, but it does the job! And thank you!!! I can't believe it's almost here! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...